President-elect Donald Trump’s wife Melania will stay in New York City while their 10-year old son Barron finishes his school year.
via NY Daily News:
Melania Trump, who over the course of the campaign has repeatedly talked of how close she is with her and the mogul’s only son together, will remain at Trump Tower with Barron through the end of his school year at Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School, a source close to the situation told The News.
Melania and Barron Trump aren’t expected to move into the White House, where the President-elect will begin making his residence on Jan. 20, until after the school year ends in June.
“It’s Melania who wants to stay. She doesn’t want to take Barron out of school. She’s concerned that he won’t have the same relationship with new teachers that he has at Columbia Prep,” the source said, referring to the posh Upper West Side Academy where Barron is a fourth-grader.
Until June, Melania plans to travel frequently between New York City and Washington, D.C., TMZ reported.
The Daily News previously reported that Melania Trump had been in the market for a spokeswoman willing to travel between New York City and Washington D.C., an indication she had been considering staying behind in Manhattan as her husband moved to Washington.
Remaining behind is sure to add the security challenges the New York Police Department already faces in protecting Trump Tower, where the President-elect has remained holed up nearly every day since winning the general election on Nov. 8.
Trump Tower has already become a fortress on Fifth Ave., with police ramping up security in the immediate area. Nearly 50 NYPD officers have been deployed around Trump Tower to keep traffic flowing and cops will be there 24 hours a day for at least the next 65 days, Mayor de Blasio disclosed Friday.
In addition, trucks will be banned from Fifth Ave. between 60th and 55th Sts., while all traffic will be prohibited on 56th St. between Fifth and Sixth Aves. Pedestrians will be allowed through with bag checks.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said Friday, however, that he would not totally shut down Fifth Ave. in order to provide security for President-elect Donald Trump — unless he has to.
“There will be no wholesale closure of Fifth Ave,” O’Neill said Friday, even though Trump Tower is now considered a terror target.
De Blasio has said it would be appreciated if the public avoided Trump Tower, which sits on Fifth Ave. between 57th and 56th Sts.